My Blog List

Sunday, February 13, 2011

100?!... ppssshhh... I'll call and raise you 1,000,000,000,000!.... (but probably not really)

So for the Modular Madness project, I started out completely blank. I had no idea what objects I would choose from and/or what I would create with these objects. Now i'm torn between three proposals.
      My first concern was cost, I didn't want to buy anything that I was most likely bound to throw away after grading. So, I went through my apartment trying to find something and discovered a box of 500 Q-Tips under the sink. Great!... I thought. Until I started playing with them and working with hot glue to get an idea of a proper binding agent. Turns out the sticks break, get dirty, and move around very easily. So I went back to the drawing board and this time the thought of spending a little cash seemed necessary.
      We watched a video in class representing the jist of this project mixed with performance art, using q-tips ( ironic...don't ya think? ) doused in different colored paints while attached to someones head. The idea of turning this project into a performance piece sparked my curiosity. With performance in mind and the likely hood of using hot glue as a binding agent because of its accessibility and simplicity, I thought why not combine this medium, concept, and use as a binding agent together. I would use glue sticks, by stacking or grouping, to create the sculpture, bind it together with dots of melted hot glue, then when constructed, for the performance aspect, take a blow torch or a heat gun to the sculpture to melt it all down and together. But, the only draw back to this plan would be the high cost of 100+ glue sticks. (and when I say "high" cost, look at the common price of a bag of glue sticks from the perception of someone that is broke as a joke).
      My third proposal, and the one I am now most interested in, combines the use of plaster and the 100+ objects placed inside. When set, I would carve away at the plaster creating the sculpture and exposing the items set inside. This idea follows more under the traditional practices of art which I am most interested in but still meets the technical guidelines of this project (awesome). Plaster = binding agent. Organic pieces set in plaster = 100 or more objects. Me = 1. WASH = 0.







I'll let everyone know how the plaster trial turns out.....

_____________________________________________________________________________


Playing with plaster to get a feel for the medium and what I would be working with for the final concept.....














No comments:

Post a Comment